VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Aug. 29, 2022
Baron Cameron Avenue Intersection Reconstruction Night Work in Reston Begins Aug. 29
Detours and modified traffic patterns in place while crews rebuild the Route 7 intersection
RESTON - Drivers on eastbound and westbound Route 7, Baron Cameron Avenue, and Springvale Road will experience detours at night between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. starting Monday, Aug. 29, and continuing through Thursday night, Sept. 1, while crews continue construction of the Route 7/Baron Cameron Avenue intersection.
On or about Tuesday night, Sept. 6, drivers will experience detours and lane shifts between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. while crews continue the intersection reconfiguration and shift traffic to the north.
All residences, businesses and other public facilities will remain accessible via the signed detour route. Please use caution and be alert to vehicles and equipment entering the work area and directional signage that will be in place to guide drivers through the area.
See details below.
Monday, Aug. 29 - Thursday, Sept. 1, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The median crossover at Route 7 and Baron Cameron Avenue will be closed.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 to Baron Cameron Avenue will proceed to Bishopsgate Way, U-turn to eastbound Route 7, and turn right onto Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Drivers on Springvale Road to Baron Cameron Avenue will turn right onto westbound Route 7, U-turn at Bishopsgate Way to eastbound Route 7, and turn right onto Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Drivers on eastbound Route 7 to Springvale Road will proceed to Delta Glen Court, U-turn to westbound Route 7, and turn right onto Springvale Road.
- Drivers on Baron Cameron Avenue to Springvale Road will turn right onto eastbound Route 7, U-turn at Delta Glen Court, proceed on westbound Route 7 and turn right onto Springvale Road.
On or about Tuesday, Sept. 6, 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers will follow the detour routes above and will experience lane shifts on eastbound and westbound Route 7 while crews shift traffic to the north.
Following the traffic shift and continuing through late 2022:
- Drivers on eastbound Route 7 will use a temporary displaced right-turn lane to access Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Access from eastbound Route 7 to the Sunoco Service Center and Three Cees Car Wash will be maintained. To return to Route 7, drivers exiting the businesses will turn right onto Baron Cameron Avenue and U-turn at Hunter Gate Way/Hunter Mill Road.
See details below.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change.
For information on intersection movements at the completion of construction, please see the interactive map on the project website.
Please note crews are only working within the VDOT right of way and where rights have been acquired from property owners (read more).
As a reminder, the Route 7 speed limit has been reduced to 45 miles per hour in active work zones between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive, and Virginia law prohibits the use of handheld cell phones while driving through an active work zone.
Please use caution and be alert to work zone signs, potential flagger or police direction, and watch for traffic shifts. Slow-moving vehicles and equipment may be entering or exiting the road.
You can get Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project updates weekly by visiting the project website.
Sign Up for Route 7 Traffic Alerts on Virginia 511
Get alerts about work zones, accidents and other incidents via web, phone, text message or email. Visit 511virginia.org to create and configure your account.
Expected lane closures and other traffic pattern changes associated with the Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project are also posted each week at connectroute7.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.