VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 4, 2022
Full Closure of I-66 West at Route 50 in Fairfax Next Week, March 9-12, for Overhead Bridge Work
FAIRFAX – All lanes of I-66 West approaching Route 50 will close nightly, March 9-12, to allow for installation of bridge beams for a new access ramp from the future westbound I-66 Express Lanes to Route 50 West as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Westbound I-66 traffic will be detoured around the closure using Route 50 and Route 608 (West Ox Road). Drivers traveling on I-66 West during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
The I-66 West ramps to/from Route 50 will also be closed during the overnight hours, March 9-12.
Wednesday, March 9, through Saturday, March 12
I-66 West at Route 50
- Around 10 p.m. each night, I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching Route 50.
- From 11 p.m. until 5 a.m. weekdays (until 6 a.m. on weekends), all westbound I-66 travel lanes will be closed at Route 50.
- All I-66 West traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. weekdays, and by 7 a.m. weekends.
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. weeknights (until 6 a.m. on weekends).
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- The ramp will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. on weeknights (until 6 a.m. on weekends).
- Traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue west to West Ox Road South, then stay to the right to Route 50 East.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lane access to and from the east and to construct new shared use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Construction and lane closure updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive project updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.