VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 25, 2022
Gallows Road Bridge Beam Installation, I-66 East Overnight Stoppages Planned Next Weekend, April 1-3
Traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes nightly on I-66 East; Gallows Road reduced to single lane over I-66 during overnight hours; Additional closures in coming weeks
FAIRFAX – Installation of bridge beams for the new Gallows Road South Bridge over I-66 will require reducing I-66 East approaching Gallows Road to a single travel lane during the overnight hours Friday, April 1, through Sunday, April 3. Bridge beam lifts over the eastbound lanes of the interstate will require traffic stoppages of up to 30 minutes on I-66 East each night. The westbound lanes will not be affected by this phase of bridge work, which is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction during overnight hours, with two-way traffic running on Gallows Road North. Additionally, travel on Gallows Road will be flagged in an alternating single lane over I-66 between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, and between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. on Sunday night.
Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and are encouraged to use alternate routes.
Friday, April 1, through Sunday, April 3
I-66 East from Cedar Lane in Vienna to I-495
- I-66 East approaching Gallows Road will be reduced to a single travel lane during the overnight hours on Friday from 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.; Saturday from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.; and Sunday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 30 minutes Friday night between 11 p.m. and 4:30 a.m., Saturday night between 11 p.m. and 5:30 a.m., and Sunday night between 11 p.m. and 3:30 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning ; by 7 a.m. Sunday morning; and by 5 a.m. Monday morning.
Gallows Road over I-66
- Gallows Road over I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction Friday and Saturday nights from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., and Sunday night from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Two-way traffic will run on the northbound side of Gallows Road during this period.
- Between 11 p.m and 6 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. Sunday night, only one travel lane will be open on Gallows Road with a flagger directing alternating traffic in each direction.
- All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. weekends, and by 5 a.m. Monday.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Additional multiple nights of lane closures and traffic stoppages on I-66 East and West, and on Gallows Road at I-66 are scheduled to occur over the coming weeks as work to install bridge beams advances.
Gallows Road over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Message boards on Gallows Road and I-66 will provide advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates will be available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
The weekend of Friday, April 1, through Sunday, April 3, a flagging operation will alternate a single lane of traffic each way on Gallows Road over I-66 during overnight hours.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.