VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Feb. 22, 2022
I-66 East at I-495 to be Closed During Overnight Hours February 24 and 25 for Bridge Beam Installation
Nightly lane closures, stoppages of I-66 East at I-495 for bridge work will continue this weekend and next week February 26 – March 3
UPDATE (2/25): Due to inclement weather last night, these closures will shift to Friday, February 25, between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., and Saturday, February 26, between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m.
FAIRFAX – All travel lanes of I-66 East approaching I-495 are planned to be closed Thursday night, February 24, and Friday night, February 25, to allow for installation of bridge beams for a new ramp from the future I-66 Express Lanes. Eastbound I-66 traffic will be detoured using I-495 South and the Route 50 Interchange during the closure. On Saturday through Thursday nights, February 26 – March 3, two lanes of eastbound I-66 will be closed with stoppages approaching I-495. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 East during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Thursday, February 24, and Friday, February 25
I-66 East at I-495
- I-66 East will be closed approaching I-495 Thursday night from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m., and Friday night from 10:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- Trafficwill be directed to I-495 South, exit to Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard) East, stay to the right to Fairview Park, take the left fork to Fairview Park North, bear left at the traffic signal, then stay to the right following signs to I-495 North, and then follow signs to I-66 East.
- The ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North will remain open during this period.
- All lanes will reopen by 4 a.m. Friday, and by 8 a.m. Saturday.
Saturday, February 26, through Thursday, March 3
I-66 East at I-495
- Two travel lanes of I-66 East will be closed approaching I-495 Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and Sunday through Thursday nights from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic short stoppages of up to 10 minutes Saturday night between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., and Sunday through Thursday nights between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 9 a.m. Sunday, and by 5 a.m. weekdays.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general-purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.