VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 22, 2022
I-66 East Travel Lanes between Blake Lane and Nutley Street to Shift to New Roadway Configuration on or about Wednesday, July 27
The two right lanes will be temporarily separated from the two left lanes while construction continues; Drivers will stay to the right to exit to Nutley Street and the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail Station
UPDATE (7/27/2022): This work has been rescheduled to tonight, Wednesday, July 27. The roadway split will be in effect Thursday morning.
FAIRFAX – Travel lanes on I-66 East between Blake Lane and Nutley Street will be shifted to a new, long-term configuration beginning during the early morning hours on or about Wednesday, July 27. When this traffic change is implemented, the two right travel lanes will be separated from the two left travel lanes by a barrier-enclosed work zone. Drivers will be directed by signs and message boards to stay to the right at the lane split to exit to Nutley Street or the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail Station.
This traffic pattern will remain in place for approximately one month to allow for additional construction activities on the future I-66 Express Lanes in the center portion of the roadway.
To implement this traffic pattern change, drivers should expect the following:
Tuesday, July 26
I-66 East from Blake Lane to Nutley Street
- Three lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramps from I-66 East to Nutley Street North and South and the Vienna/Fairfax/GMU Metrorail Station
- The ramps will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther east to I-495 North, travel north to Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) West, stay to the right to I-495 South, exit to I-66 West, then follow signs to Nutley Street North or South.
Ramp from Nutley Street South to I-66 East
- The ramp will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther south, stay to the left and make a U-turn at the traffic signal at Route 29 (Lee Highway) onto Nutley Street North, then follow signs to I-66 East.
Drivers should always use caution and pay attention to lane markings and roadway signs in construction zones.
All work is weather dependent. Implementation of the shift will be rescheduled to the following night if inclement conditions occur.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.