VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 5, 2022
I-66 Reduced to One Lane in Each Direction in Manassas Saturday Night, January 8, for Bridge Beam Installation
Two-way traffic will travel in a single lane in each direction on I-66 East near Manassas Safety Rest Area; Sunday night, January 9, will be used as backup should inclement conditions occur
UPDATE (1/8/22): Due to possible inclement weather on Sunday, January 9, the schedule for this work has been moved up by an hour. I-66 West lane closures are now planned between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. on Saturday night, January 8.
UPDATE (1/7/22): The construction team has reduced the traffic impacts required for this work. I-66 East lanes will not be closed. I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane near the Manassas Safety Rest Area and run in a single lane behind barrier in the old general-purpose lanes until past the work area.
FAIRFAX – I-66 East and West approaching the Manassas Safety Rest Area will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile Saturday night, January 8, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., as bridge beams are installed for a new access ramp to the future I-66 Express Lanes. Two-way traffic will run on I-66 East so that crews can safely install bridge beams over I-66 West. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled for Sunday night, January 9, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., if inclement conditions occur.
Saturday, January 8
I-66 East and West Between Route 234 Business (Sudley Road) and Bull Run
- Around 10 p.m. I-66 West traffic approaching the Manassas Safety Rest Area will be narrowed to a single lane and directed to cross over to the I-66 East side of the roadway. Westbound traffic will remain in this pattern for approximately one mile and then cross back over to the I-66 West side of the roadway and resume normal travel prior to the Route 234 Business Interchange.
- Around 10 p.m. I-66 East traffic approaching Route 234 Business will be narrowed to a single right lane and remain on the right side of the interstate to the Manassas Safety Rest Area. Eastbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where westbound traffic crosses onto the eastbound lanes.
- Between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. two-way traffic on I-66 East will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control and response.
- All lanes on I-66 East and West will reopen by 7 a.m.
- Should inclement weather occur, the work will be rescheduled to Sunday, January 9, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.