VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 25, 2022
I-66 West to be Closed During Overnight Hours in Centreville for Bridge Beam Installation This Weekend, January 28-30, and Next Week, January 31-February 1
Detour via new Collector-Distributor Lane and Route 28
UPDATE (January 26, 2022): Due to the forecasted inclement weather for Friday, this work will begin on Thursday night, January 27. Three westbound lanes are planned to close at 9:30 p.m. with the full closure of I-66 West and traffic diversion to the collector-distributor lane to be implemented from 10 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. The remainder of the schedule remains the same, but is subject to change.
FAIRFAX – All travel lanes of I-66 West are planned to be closed west of Stringfellow Road in Centreville nightly this weekend through next week, January 28 to February 1, to allow for installation of bridge beams for a new ramp from the future I-66 Express Lanes. Westbound I-66 traffic will be detoured using a new collector-distributor lane, Route 28, and Westfields Boulevard. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 West during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and may be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Friday, January 28, through Tuesday, February 1
I-66 West from west of Stringfellow Road to Route 28
- Three lanes of I-66 West will close west of Stringfellow Road at 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, and at 9:30 p.m. on Sunday through Tuesday nights.
- All I-66 West lanes will be closed from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and from 10 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Sunday through Tuesday nights.
- All I-66 West traffic will be diverted onto the new I-66 westbound collector-distributor lane, then directed to exit the interstate to Route 28 North, travel to the exit to Westfields Boulevard West, stay to the right to Route 28 South, and then follow signs to I-66 West.
- The ramp to Braddock Road/Walney Road from I-66 West will remain accessible while the detour is active.
- All lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. weekends, and by 5 a.m. weekdays.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.