VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Jan. 28, 2022
Northern Virginia: Wintry Weather to Impact Friday PM Commute
Residents asked to monitor forecasts; Plan now to avoid nonessential travel once storm begins
FAIRFAX - VDOT Northern Virginia crews are ready for winter weather that is forecast to impact the region Friday afternoon through Saturday. Crews pretreated roads on Thursday.
As always, residents are asked to monitor forecasts and plan ahead to avoid nonessential travel during winter weather.
What's Happening Now
- See the Winter Weather Advisory from the National Weather Service for winter weather forecasted to impact the region from Friday through Saturday. The forecast shows the potential for periods of accumulating snow, as well as below-freezing temperatures and increased winds. Please continue to monitor forecasts closely as forecasts can improve or worsen quickly.
- Drivers should expect an impacted Friday afternoon rush hour. Plan your trips now to avoid all nonessential travel during the height of the storm, to avoid deteriorating conditions and to allow crews room to work.
- Crews pretreated roads on Thursday and will begin deploying approximately 2,400 trucks Friday midday to treat roads as needed.
- Temperatures are expected to stay below freezing over the next several days, causing potential icy conditions. Treat anything that looks wet as if it could be icy, especially bridges, ramps, overpasses, and elevated surfaces. If there is snow or ice on roadways, travel is hazardous.
Reminders for Residents and Drivers:
- If you must drive, keep an emergency winter weather kit in your vehicle which includes food, water, first aid materials, tools and blankets in the event of a breakdown or stoppage.
- To report downed trees or other debris in the road, residents can contact the Customer Service Center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) or my.vdot.virginia.gov.
- Monitor road conditions on www.511virginia.org or the free mobile app, or call 511 from any phone in Virginia.
- Follow @vadotnova and @NWS_BaltWash for real-time updates!
- Learn more about snow removal by visiting virginiadot.org/snow and viewing Northern Virginia District's fact sheet.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.