VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 15, 2022
Overnight Closures at the I-66/I-495 Interchange This Saturday through Monday, July 16-18, for Overhead Bridge Beam Installation
495 Express Lanes North and ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North to be closed
UPDATE (7/17): This work will be rescheduled.
FAIRFAX – The ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North will be closed nightly, Saturday, July 16, through Monday, July 18, to allow for installation of bridge beams necessary to widen the ramp for connections with the future I-66 Express Lanes. The northbound 495 Express Lanes will also be closed in conjunction with this work.Detours will be posted. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 East and I-495 North during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled should inclement conditions occur.
Saturday, July 16, through Monday, July 18
Ramp from I-66 East to I-495 North
- The ramp will be closed Saturday night from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., and Sunday and Monday nights from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured to I-495 South, exit to Route 50 (Arlington Boulevard) East, stay to the right to Fairview Park, take the left fork to Fairview Park North, bear left at the traffic signal, then stay to the right following signs to I-495 North.
- The ramp will reopen by 8 a.m. Sunday, and by 5 a.m. weekdays.
495 Express Lanes North from Robinson Terminal (the beginning of the express lanes) to I-66
- The northbound 495 Express Lanes will be closed Saturday from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., and Sunday and Monday from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- The northbound Express Lanes will reopen by 8 a.m. Sunday, and by 5 a.m. weekdays.
The I-66/I-495 Interchange is being modified with several new ramps and connections as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. Improvements at the interchange include adding access to and from the existing 495 Express Lanes and the new I-66 Express Lanes, as well as building new connections between express and general-purpose lanes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.