VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 14, 2022
Overnight Closures on I-66 West at Route 50 in Fairfax This Week for Continued Overhead Bridge Work
Full closure of I-66 West planned Monday night, March 14; Westbound I-66 reduced to single travel lane during overnight hours March 15-17
FAIRFAX – Bridge beam installation continues this week at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange with nightly lane closures, stoppages, ramp closures, and a full closure of I-66 West. On Monday, March 14, the westbound lanes of I-66 and associated ramps will be closed during the overnight hours with traffic detoured via Route 50 West. For the remainder of the week – Tuesday, March 15, through Thursday, March 17 – work will require westbound I-66 to be reduced to a single travel lane with nightly stoppages planned. Associated ramps to/from I-66 West will also be closed nightly with detours posted. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 West during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes. All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Monday, March 14
I-66 West at Route 50
- Around 10 p.m., I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching Route 50.
- Between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m., all westbound I-66 travel lanes will be closed at Route 50.
- All I-66 West traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue west to Route 608 (West Ox Road) South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp from westbound Route 50 to I-66 West will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to Route 608 South, stay to the right to Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- The ramp from I-66 West to eastbound Route 50 will be closed from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Traffic will be directed to exit the interstate at Route 50 West, continue west to Route 608 South, then stay to the right to Route 50 East.
Tuesday, March 15, through Thursday, March 17
I-66 West at Route 50
- I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane approaching Route 50 nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic short stoppages during the overnight hours.
- All lanes on I-66 West will reopen by 5 a.m.
The I-66/Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt to add Express Lane access to and from the east and to construct a new shared-use path as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.