VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
Jan. 21, 2022
Overnight Demolition of the Old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 Continues This Weekend, January 21-23, and Next Week, January 24-26
FAIRFAX – Overnight demolition of the old Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is planned to continue this weekend, Friday, January 21, through Sunday, January 23, and next week, Monday, January 24, through Wednesday, January 26, with removal of the bridge piers along I-66 East. The Gallows Road Bridge is being replaced as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 East during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes.
Up-to-date information and lane closures related to this work can be found at the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project’s Gallows Road page.
What’s ahead for this weekend and next week:
- Crews will continue to demolish the old bridge piers along I-66 East using jack hammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams.
- Demolition of the old piers must take place during the overnight hours when multiple lanes can be closed on I-66 to safely accommodate this work.
- Crews will also begin demolition the old bridge abutment and approaches on the south side of I-66 during the daytime hours. Work will require use of jack hammers, saw cutters, and hoe rams. No lane closures will be required for this work.
- Construction of the new northern bridge abutment for the new Gallows Road South Bridge over I-66 will continue this weekend and next week with pile driving during the daytime hours.
- Construction of the new center bridge pier along I-66 West will begin during the overnight hours next week, January 24-28, with drill shaft construction.
- All work is weather dependent and schedules may shift if inclement conditions occur.
- For updates on demolition progress visit transform66.org/gallowsroad.
What Drivers Should Expect:
Friday, January 21, though Wednesday, January 26
I-66 East approaching Gallows Road
- Three lanes will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly for bridge demolition.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. nightly.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Demolition Progress to Date:
- During the week of January 18, crews completed removal of the remaining beams from the old bridge and began demolition of the bridge piers along I-66 East.
The Gallows Road Bridge over I-66 is being reconstructed as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The bridge is being lengthened, widened, raised, and shifted to the east to accommodate the new Express Lanes and provide room for future improvements along Gallows Road.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.