VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
May 20, 2022
Overnight Lane Closures on I-66 East in Fairfax Next Week, May 25-26, for Overhead Bridge Beam Installation
UPDATE (5/24): This work has been rescheduled to the overnight hours of Tuesday, May 31, and Wednesday, June 1.
FAIRFAX – I-66 East approaching Monument Drive in Fairfax will be reduced to a single travel lane during the overnight hours Wednesday, May 25, as bridge beams are installed to widen the bridge. During this time, traffic will run in a single lane behind barrier on new roadway. On Thursday, May 26, two travel lanes of eastbound I-66 approaching Monument Drive will be closed during the overnight hours. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers traveling on I-66 East during this time should expect delays and consider using alternate routes.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Wednesday, May 25
I-66 East from Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) to Route 50
- Two lanes will be closed beginning at 9 p.m.
- Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., I-66 East will be reduced to a single travel lane for crews to erect bridge beams.
- All eastbound traffic will be directed into a single travel lane and diverted behind barrier onto new roadway.
- All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m.
Ramps from I-66 West to Monument Drive/from Monument Drive to I-66 East
- The ramps will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The ramps will reopen by 5 a.m.
Thursday, May 26
I-66 East from Route 286 to Route 50
- Two lanes will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All lanes on I-66 East will reopen by 5 a.m.
Monument Drive Bridge over I-66 is being modified and widened to add full-time Express Lanes access to the east and west. In addition, a new parking garage and transit center are being built with project funding adjacent to the Express Lanes ramps at Monument Drive.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.