VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 15, 2022
Stringfellow Road Closed at I-66 During Overnight Hours Next Week, July 18-19, for Overhead Bridge Work
Nightly lane closures on I-66 West approaching Stringfellow Road in Chantilly during this period; Northbound Stringfellow Road reduced to a single travel lane during daytime hours July 18-19
FAIRFAX – Continued overhead bridge beam installation for new I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road will require lane closures and overnight detours of Stringfellow Road on July 18 and 19. Northbound Stringfellow Road will be reduced to a single travel lane at I-66 continuously from 9 p.m. Monday, July 18, through 5 a.m. Wednesday, July 20, for placement of a large crane needed to lift the bridge beams into place. Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. on Monday and Tuesday nights. Drivers traveling on Stringfellow Road will be directed to a detour route and should allow extra time.
Additionally, I-66 West approaching Stringfellow Road will be reduced to a single travel lane during the overnight hours on Monday and Tuesday. All closures are related to work for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled to the following night if inclement conditions occur.
Monday, July 18, and Tuesday, July 19
Stringfellow Road North and South between I-66 and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Beginning around 9 p.m. Monday, July 18, continuously through 5 a.m. Wednesday, July 20, northbound Stringfellow Road approaching I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane.
- Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. both nights.
- On the north side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Fair Lakes Boulevard, turn right onto Fair Lakes Parkway, travel about one mile and turn right onto the ramp to Route 286 South, follow signs to Route 29 (Lee Highway) South, and travel about two miles on Route 29 South to reach the intersection with Stringfellow Road. Vehicles can then turn left for southbound Stringfellow Road or turn right to return toward I-66.
- On the south side of I-66, thru-traffic on Stringfellow Road will be directed to Route 29 North, travel north on Route 29 for two miles, then follow signs to Route 286 North. Drivers will then exit at Fair Lakes Parkway/Monument Drive and stay to the left to turn left at the traffic signal onto Fair Lakes Parkway, turn left onto Fair Lakes Boulevard, and then turn right onto Stringfellow Road to head north.
- All lanes will reopen by 4 a.m.
I-66 West from Route 286 to west of Stringfellow Road
- I-66 West will be reduced to a single travel lane from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. each night.
- All lanes on I-66 West will reopen by 5 a.m.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.