VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
July 8, 2022
Stringfellow Road Closed at I-66 During Overnight Hours Sunday, July 10, for Overhead Bridge Work
FAIRFAX – Continued beam installation for new I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road will required Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 to be closed during the overnight hours Sunday, July 10. A detour route will direct drivers around the closure. Extra time should be allowed for those traveling in this area. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
The Stringfellow Road ramps to I-66 East/from I-66 West will also be closed during this time.
Additionally, I-66 East approaching Stringfellow Road will be reduced to a single travel lane during this period. Traffic will be directed into one lane and diverted behind barrier onto new roadway to get around the work zone.
Sunday, July 10
Stringfellow Road North and South between I-66 and Westbrook Drive/Village Square Drive
- Beginning around 9 p.m. Stringfellow Road North approaching I-66 will be reduced to a single travel lane.
- Between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m., Stringfellow Road North and South approaching I-66 will be closed.
- On the north side of I-66, Stringfellow Road thru-traffic will be directed to Fair Lakes Boulevard, turn right on to Fair Lakes Parkway, travel about one mile and turn right on to the ramp to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway) South, follow signs to Route 29 (Lee Highway) South, and travel about two miles on Route 29 South to reach the intersection with Stringfellow Road. Vehicles can then turn left for southbound Stringfellow Road or turn right to return toward I-66.
- On the south side of I-66, Stringfellow Road thru-traffic will be directed to Route 29 North, travel north on Route 29 for two miles, then follow signs to Route 286 North. Drivers will then exit at Fair Lakes Parkway/Monument Drive and stay to the left to turn left at the traffic signal on to Fair Lakes Parkway, turn left on to Fair Lakes Boulevard, and then turn right on to Stringfellow Road to head north.
- All lanes will reopen by 4 a.m.
Ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Stringfellow Road to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
- Note that a long-term closure of these ramps will begin at 10 p.m. on Monday, July 11, and continue through approximately September 5.
I-66 East from east of Route 28 to Stringfellow Road
- I-66 East will be reduced to a single travel lane from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- All eastbound traffic will be directed into a single lane and diverted behind barrier onto new roadway.
- All lanes on I-66 East will reopen by 5 a.m.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
The I-66 bridges over Stringfellow Road are being widened to accommodate the new I-66 Express Lanes and provide room for any future mass transit along I-66.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.