VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Kathleen Leonard | Jennifer Thomas
April 11, 2022
Virtual Construction Update April 19 on Route 7 Corridor Improvements
Learn about construction progress and give feedback online at connectroute7.org
FAIRFAX – The Virginia Department of Transportation will hold a virtual construction update Tuesday, April 19 on the improvements along about seven miles of Route 7 (Leesburg Pike) between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive. The project team will provide an overview on the project status and an update on the new Lewinsville Road intersection scheduled to open later this spring. The intersection will feature a displaced left-turn lane from eastbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road.
The corridor improvements aim to enhance safety, decrease congestion, increase capacity, and expand mobility for all users as part of Fairfax County’s Comprehensive Plan.
Project improvements include:
- Widening Route 7 from four to six lanes
- Improving access management at 19 intersections
- Adding shared-use paths along both sides of Route 7
- Replacing the bridge over Difficult Run
- Reconstructing the Lewinsville Road intersection with a displaced left-turn lane from eastbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road
Upcoming milestones include three lanes of traffic in each direction scheduled to open this fall along nearly two miles of Route 7 between Reston Avenue and Riva Ridge Drive. The entire project is scheduled for completion in summer 2024.
Within the project limits, Route 7 averages 55,000 vehicles a day based on 2019 data.
In lieu of an in-person meeting, VDOT invites residents and travelers to learn more, participate in the virtual meeting and give feedback in the following ways through Friday, April 29:
- Attend the Tuesday, April 19 online Register at connectroute7.org or to participate without registering in listen-only mode, call 866-692-4530 (use access code 2445-803-3549). The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 p.m. and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation.
- Provide comments via the online survey or by email to email@example.com.
- Mail comments to Mr. Arifur Rahman, P.E., Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Meeting materials and the presentation will be available online at connectroute7.org, including the recorded presentation after the meeting.
VDOT ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact VDOT Civil Rights at 703-259-1775.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.