VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Kathleen Leonard | Mike Murphy
March 8, 2022
Virtual Public Information Meeting March 15 on Shirlington Circle South Rotary Bridge Rehabilitation
Learn more and give feedback online at virginiadot.org/ShirlingtonCircle
ARLINGTON – The Virginia Department of Transportation will hold a virtual public information meeting Tuesday, March 15 on plans to rehabilitate the Shirlington Circle south rotary bridge over I-395 to improve safety for drivers and extend the overall life of the bridge. The bridge was originally built in 1973 and connects the southbound I-395 collector-distributor lanes and southbound Shirlington Road to North Quaker Lane at the I-395 Exit 6 interchange.
The project includes:
- Resurfacing the concrete bridge deck and closing deck joints
- Repairing concrete piers and abutments
- Repairing and repainting steel beams
- Adding protective concrete barriers adjacent to piers
- Replacing bearings
- Upgrading guardrails adjacent to the bridge
The bridge averages 7,400 vehicles a day based on 2019 data.
The project is financed with federal and state funding, including State of Good Repair funds used for bridges.
In lieu of an in-person meeting, VDOT invites residents and travelers to learn more, participate in the virtual meeting and give feedback in the following ways through Friday, March 25:
- Attend the Tuesday, March 15 online Register at virginiadot.org/ShirlingtonCircle or to participate without registering in listen-only mode, call 855-797-9485 (use access code 2531-744-9345). The project team will make a short presentation beginning at 7 p.m. and answer questions for about an hour after the presentation. In case an alternate date is needed, the meeting will be held Monday, March 28.
- Provide comments via the online survey or by email to email@example.com.
- Mail comments to Mr. Vicente Valeza, Jr., P.E., Virginia Department of Transportation, 4975 Alliance Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030.
Meeting materials and the presentation will be available online at virginiadot.org/ShirlingtonCircle, including the recorded presentation after the meeting.
VDOT ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information or special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact VDOT Civil Rights at 703-259-1775.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.