VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Aug. 19, 2022
Weekend Detours at Route 7 and Lewinsville Road in McLean August 26-29
Detours and modified traffic patterns in place while crews rebuild the intersection
MCLEAN - Drivers on Route 7 and Lewinsville Road will experience detours and modified traffic patterns between Friday, Aug. 26, at 7 p.m. and Monday, Aug. 29, at 5 a.m. while crews continue construction of the new Lewinsville Road intersection.
Traffic patterns through the intersection will vary throughout the weekend and signage will be in place to direct drivers. All residences, businesses and other public facilities will remain accessible via the signed detour route.
Friday, Aug. 26, 7 p.m. to Sunday, Aug. 28, 6 a.m.
- The median crossover at Route 7 and Lewinsville Road will be closed.
- Drivers on eastbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road/Brook Road and drivers on Lewinsville Road/Brook Road to eastbound Route 7 will use the signed detour route along Route 7, Westpark Drive, International Drive, and Spring Hill Road.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road/Brook Road will turn right at the new Lewinsville Road intersection on the east side of McLean Bible Church.
Sunday, Aug. 28, 6 a.m. to Monday, Aug. 29, 5 a.m.
The median crossover on Route 7 at Lewinsville Road will reopen to most movements.
- Drivers on eastbound Route 7 to Lewinsville Road/Brook Road will continue to use the detour route.
- The movements below will be reopened:
- Drivers on LewinsvilleRoad/Brook Road will be able to turn left onto eastbound Route 7, turn right onto westbound Route 7, and go straight across to McLean Bible Church at the old Lewinsville Road intersection.
- Drivers from McLean Bible Church at the old Lewinsville Road intersection will be able to turn left onto westbound Route 7, turn right onto eastbound Route 7, and go straight across the intersection to Lewinsville Road/Brook Road.
- Drivers from McLean Bible Church at the new Lewinsville Road intersection will be able to turn right onto eastbound Route 7.
- Drivers on westbound Route 7 will be able to turn left into McLean Bible Church at the old Lewinsville Road intersection.
Monday, Aug. 29, 5 a.m.
- The new Lewinsville Road intersection will open to traffic in an interim configuration (see map below), and drivers on eastbound Route 7 will use the new displaced left-turn lane to access Lewinsville Road and Brook Road.
- The service road between eastbound Road 7 and McLean Bible Church will close permanently.
Click here for details on navigating the newly-reconstructed intersection.
Please use caution and be alert to directional signage that will be in place to guide drivers through the intersection.
All work is weather-dependent and subject to change.
For information on intersection movements at the completion of construction, please see the interactive map on the project website.
Please note crews are only working within the VDOT right of way and where rights have been acquired from property owners (read more).
As a reminder, the Route 7 speed limit has been reduced to 45 miles per hour in active work zones between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive, and Virginia law prohibits the use of handheld cell phones while driving through an active work zone.
Please use caution and be alert to work zone signs, potential flagger or police direction, and watch for traffic shifts. Slow-moving vehicles and equipment may be entering or exiting the road.
You can get Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project updates weekly by visiting the project website.
Sign Up for Route 7 Traffic Alerts on Virginia 511
Get alerts about work zones, accidents and other incidents via web, phone, text message or email. Visit 511virginia.org to create and configure your account.
Expected lane closures and other traffic pattern changes associated with the Route 7 Corridor Improvements Project are also posted each week at connectroute7.org.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.