VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Aug. 9, 2023
New Hunter Mill Road Bridge Fully Open in Vienna
Two lanes separated by a median/splitter island
VIENNA – Drivers on Hunter Mill Road (Route 674) no longer have to yield to oncoming traffic in order to cross Colvin Run, as the new two-lane bridge opened to traffic in both directions today.
The new bridge (located between the Dulles Toll Road and Baron Cameron Avenue):
- Improves traffic flow by replacing the nearly 50-year-old weight-restricted one-lane bridge that required drivers to stop if there was traffic crossing the bridge in the other direction
- Includes a median/splitter island separating the two lanes to improve safety
The Hunter Mill Road over Colvin Run Bridge Replacement project, which is now complete, also includes:
- An improved trail crossing south of the bridge
- Landscaping in the median/splitter island
- Abutments for a future trail bridge over Colvin Run (the rest of the trail bridge will be constructed by Fairfax County)
The $5.2 million project was financed with federal, state (including State of Good Repair funds used for bridges) and county funding.
Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians are reminded to use caution and be alert to new traffic patterns and limit distractions.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.