VDOT News - Northern Virginia
Michelle Holland 703-586-0487
March 2, 2023
Route 29 (Lee Highway) at I-66 in Centreville Reduced to Two Lanes Throughout Next Weekend, March 17-20
Route 29 South closed; Single lane, two-way traffic will be in effect on Route 29 North during daytime and overnight hours
UPDATE (3/16/2023): This work has been cancelled for this weekend due to unforeseen conflicts. It will be rescheduled.
FAIRFAX – A full weekend closure of Route 29 (Lee Highway) South at I-66 in Centreville will be in effect next weekend, March 17-20. The southbound lanes will be closed with two-way traffic reduced to a single travel lane in each direction on the northbound lanes for drainage work. The closure will begin at 10 p.m. Friday, March 17, and continue through 5 a.m. Monday, March 20, during both daytime and nighttime hours. This work is part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Drivers using ramps to and from I-66 will not be allowed to make left turns during this time. The ramp from southbound Route 29 to westbound I-66 will also be closed. Drivers should expect delays if traveling in this area and consider using alternate routes.
Beginning around 10 p.m. Friday, March 17, continuously through 5 a.m. Monday, March 20:
Route 29 North and South at I-66
- Route 29 South travel lanes will be closed for drainage work.
- Two-way traffic will run in a single lane each way in the northbound lanes of Route 29 under I-66.
- All lanes reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 29 North and South
- No left turn to Route 29 North.
- Drivers will be directed to turn right onto Route 29 South, stay to the left, and make a U-turn at O’Day Drive onto Route 29 North.
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 29 North and South
- No left turn to Route 29 South.
- Drivers will be directed to stay right onto Route 29 North, stay to the left and continue to the intersection of Machen Road/Trinity Parkway. At the traffic signal, use the left-most of the two left-turn lanes to make a U-turn onto Route 29 South.
Ramp from Route 29 North to I-66 East
- The ramp from Route 29 North to I-66 East will be closed.
- Drivers will continue farther north to the intersection of Machen Road/Trinity Parkway. At the traffic signal, use the left-most of the two left-turn lanes to make a U-turn onto Route 29 South, then stay to the right and follow signs to I-66 East.
- As an alternate route, drivers can continue farther north to Route 28 North, stay to the right, and follow signs to I-66 East.
Ramp from Route 29 South to I-66 West
- The ramp from Route 29 South to I-66 West will be closed.
- Drivers will continue farther south, stay to the left and make a U-turn at O’Day Drive onto Route 29 North, then follow signs to I-66 West.
All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Message boards on I-66 and Route 29 will provide advance notice of lane closures and traffic stoppages. Weekly updates are available at Transform66.org and on Twitter @VaDOTNOVA. To receive updates automatically by email, sign up here.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.