VDOT News - Statewide
Dec. 16, 2021
VDOT LIFTS LANE CLOSURES TO HELP KEEP MOTORISTS MERRY
VDOT provides traffic and travel information to plan ahead
RICHMOND, Va. – With the holidays hopping and the new year around the corner, the Virginia Department of Transportation will help ease your travel to celebrate with friends and family this winter. VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift most lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia for:
- Christmas holiday: from noon Thursday, Dec. 23 until noon Monday, Dec. 27
- New Year's holiday: from noon Thursday, Dec. 30 until noon Monday, Jan. 3
While lane closures will be lifted in most locations, motorists may encounter semi-permanent work zones that remain in place during this time. A full listing of those lane closures can be found on VDOT’s website.
TRAVEL-TRENDS MAP HELPS PREDICT PEAK CONGESTION
Based on historical data, VDOT's online, interactive travel-trends map shows peak congestion periods anticipated on Virginia interstates during the upcoming Christmas and New Year’s holiday periods.
This year, the travel patterns may be somewhat unpredictable due to the ongoing pandemic, previous periods of non-travel and additional travel flexibility due to holiday hours being observed on Fridays this year for most businesses.
Within the travel-trends map, please click on the link to toggle between the periods of travel influenced by these holidays.
NORTHERN VIRGINIA HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE (HOV) SCHEDULE AND OTHER INFORMATION
- All HOV restrictions on Interstate 66 and rush-hour tolls on the 66 Express Lanes Inside the Beltway will be lifted on Friday, Dec. 24 and Friday, Dec. 31.
- Find directional schedules for the reversible 95 and 395 express lanes, and information for the 495 Express Lanes at expresslanes.com.
HAMPTON ROADS HOV SCHEDULE, TUNNELS AND OTHER INFORMATION
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV Diamond Lanes and 64 Express Lanes –HOV Restrictions and Express Lanes tolls will be lifted at noon on Thursday, Dec. 23 until noon on Monday, Dec. 27 and again at noon on Thursday, Dec. 30 until noon on Monday, Jan. 3, 2022. The 64 Express Lanes in Norfolk may be used at no cost to motorists outside of normal operating hours. To learn more about the 64 Express Lanes, click here.
Resolve to be present on the roads. Do your part to make travel safer for all:
- If you plan to drink, have a designated driver
- Buckle up and ensure children and car seats are secured
- Slow down for snowy and icy roadways
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you
- Use your signals for lane changes and turns
- Keep an emergency preparedness kit in case of a breakdown in the cold
- Don’t drive distracted, and speak up if someone else is doing so
REAL-TIME TRAFFIC INFO IS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
VDOT’s free mobile 511 app offers information about construction, traffic, incidents and congestion as well as access to traffic cameras, weather and more. Traffic information is also available at 511Virginia.org or by calling 511 from any phone.
To report a road problem or get answers to transportation questions, call VDOT’s Customer Service Center around the clock at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.