Bike to Work Day 2010
Learn about events in northern Virginia sponsored by the Washington Area Bicycle Assocation.
Know the Law
- Bicyclists have the same rights and duties as vehicles.
- Vehicles must pass with at least two feet clearance from bicyclists and at safe speeds.
- Bicyclists may ride in the center of the travel lane under certain circumstances.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic.
- Sidewalk riding is a leading cause of crashes with vehicles. Always yield to pedestrians and use caution at intersections.
- Avoid the door zone of parked cars (staying four feet or more to the left).
- Start by commuting one day a week and ease into a routine.
- Take the bus – combine your bike commute with a ride on GRTC. Busses are equipped with bike racks.
- Keep several outfits at work, so you don’t have to bring clothes for each trip.
Page last modified: Oct. 14, 2012