Traffic Calming

Frequently Asked Questions

What is traffic calming?

Traffic calming slows speeding traffic on residential streets without restricting access to them.

Is any road a candidate?

The Virginia Department of Transportation's (VDOT) traffic calming program applies only to streets maintained by VDOT and is intended for existing, neighborhood streets that provide direct access to residences where the speed limit is 25 mph or less.

It is not intended for high-speed, high-volume roads whose primary purpose is to move traffic.

How does my community initiate traffic calming?

Local community members should contact their local county supervisor or town council member who should confirm that the street is eligible for consideration under VDOT’s traffic calming program.  

If a street is eligible, a request for a study may then be made by representatives of the neighborhood (e.g. home owners or civic association) to the supervisor or town council member.

Who decides on the plan?

A conceptual traffic calming plan is developed by the homeowners association or other community group and must be approved by at least 60 percent of the affected residents in the community, endorsed by the board or town council and then approved by VDOT.

What measures can be used?

A range of traffic calming options are available, depending on the traffic volume.

Non-intrusive devices, such as pavement markings and signs, do not physically restrict vehicles.

Horizontal, vertical and narrowing devices involve construction.

Who pays?

The county or town may use their funds and any local VDOT funds that are available.

How do I learn more?



Page last modified: Aug. 12, 2021