Work Zone Safety
Education and Outreach
Get Involved - Make a Difference
Help spread the word about the importance of work zone safety.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper about the dangers drivers pose to work crews.
- Wear an orange ribbon during Work Zone Awareness Week -- a great conversation starter.
- Be an example. Practice safe driving in a work zone: avoid distractions, follow signs, and obey speed limits.
All of us doing our part can increase safety for both workers and drivers.
Watch and Learn
Encountering a Work Zone Can Mean "A Sudden Change in Plans"
VDOT's Work Zone Awareness Week Public Service Announcement
In the Construction Industry
Join us for Virginia Work Zone Safety Training Day during National Work Zone Awareness Week. As construction season begins, our goal is to re-emphasize how important it is that every construction worker arrives home safely at the end of the day. We are encouraging all who work in Virginia’s highway construction industry to make time for project-wide safety training meetings and have safety focused discussions. You choose the time, meeting length and safety topic. Let's all work together to get home safely!
- Work Zone Safety Training Day Flyer (PDF 648 KB)
- Work Zone Safety Training Day Information (PDF 90 KB)
In the Classroom
VDOT and its partners are available to educate students on the challenges of driving in work zones and encourage safe driving habits.
For Kids and Teens
Adventures in Driving: Survive the Ride (PDF 1.7 MB) is designed to help teenagers make the transition from passengers to safe drivers. The guide is aimed at reducing the high crash and fatality rate in this age group. See page 7 for how to travel through a work zone safely.
Stay in the Picture Classroom
Download instructional materials and resources for teaching work zone safety.