Recently Completed: I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
Public outreach ►
Virtual Public Information Center
This link will take you to the I-95 Rappahannock River Crossing online meeting room where you can view project display boards, construction schedules, and simulation videos.
Virtual Construction Open House: October 1, 2020
Thank you to everyone who joined us for our first virtual construction open house.
Pardon Our Dust Public Meeting: July 12, 2018
VDOT held a “Pardon Our Dust” public information meeting on July 12, 2018 at James Monroe High School in the City of Fredericksburg ahead of construction starting for the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing project.
Final Noise Abatement Study
Re-evaluation of Environmental Assessment
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) letter regarding the Re-evaluation of the Environmental Assessment of the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing project, signed Sept. 14, 2017.
Interchange Modification Report Supplement to support the I-95 Rappahannock River Crossing Southbound Project
Interchange Modification Report Supplement to support the I-95 Rappahannock River Crossing Southbound Project APPENDICES
Citizen Information Meeting: June 28, 2017
VDOT held a citizen information on the revised project design on June 28, 2017.
Citizen Information Meeting Display Boards
Citizen Information Meeting Brochure
Citizen Information Meeting Presentation
Design Public Hearing: January 25, 2017
A design public hearing was held on Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2017 on the I-95 Southbound Collector-Distributor Lanes − Rappahannock River Crossing project.
Public Hearing Documents
Display Board: North of Route 17
Display Board: Route 17 interchange area
Display Board: Rappahannock River Bridges area
Display Board: Safety Rest Area/Fall Hill Avenue area
Display Board: Route 3 interchange area
Environmental Study Public Hearing: June 24, 2015
A public hearing on the findings of the project's environmental study was held on Wednesday, June 24, 2015.
Meeting Display Boards:
Project History and Purpose and Need
Traffic Volumes and Summary of Potential Environmental Impacts
Public Comments and Next Steps
Environmental Study Documents
Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
Architectural Management Summary
Natural Resources, Full Report
Natural Resources, Appendices Only
Natural Resources, Report Only
Phase I Phase II Cultural Resources Report
Interchange Modification Report (IMR)
- The three existing I-95 southbound lanes between the exit 133 and exit 130 interchanges have been converted to three southbound lanes for local traffic serving the Route 17 and Route 3 interchanges and the Safety Rest Area and Welcome Center.
- Three new I-95 southbound lanes have been built in the current I-95 median to carry through traffic. Southbound traffic can enter these lanes before the Route 17 interchange. The median lanes merge together with the local traffic lanes south of the Route 3 interchange in Spotsylvania County.
- The project built an additional bridge over the Rappahannock River to carry the new lanes in the median. The northbound and southbound overpasses over Route 17 were replaced to raise their vertical height and install improved structures.
- All lanes of I-95 built through the I-95 Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing project will be untolled and open to all traffic.
The project contract was awarded to Wagman Heavy Civil, Inc., of York, Pa.
Virtual Public Information Center
The link will take you to an online meeting room with narrated display boards with design details, a construction schedule, and simulation videos for the project. The virtual public information center will remain available for the entirety of this project.
Improve 95 Brochure
Learn more about all of the major projects underway on I-95 in the Fredericksburg area through 2024 to build a better ride.
Work Zone Camera
View of I-95 at the Rappahannock River facing northbound, between the City of Fredericksburg and Stafford County
This project seeks to reduce I-95 southbound congestion at Fredericksburg by:
· providing local traffic with an additional route to travel between Route 17 and Route 3 without merging into the interstate's general purpose lanes
· doubling the I-95 southbound capacity in the area with three new lanes
· ramp modifications at the Exit 133 and Exit 130 interchanges
· replaces existing I-95 bridges over Route 17 that are structurally deficient, and improves height restrictions on Route 17 under I-95
August 2018: Construction began
Winter 2019: Construction begins on I-95 bridge over the Rappahannock River
Spring 2019: Construction begins on Route 17
Fall 2020: Two I-95 ramps at Exit 133 will be temporarily closed during construction to provide space to build the new I-95 overpasses over Route 17, and to avoid merging and weaving near the construction work zone. Traffic will be diverted and still be able to enter or exit the interstate at the interchange
Oct. 13, 2021: New, second I-95 southbound bridge scheduled to open.
May 26, 2022: Construction complete
Leonard Coleman, P.E., VDOT Project Manager
Darragh Frye, VDOT Senior Communications Specialist
Phase: Recently Completed
State ID: 0095-111-259, P101, R201, C501; 0095-089-741; 0095-0089-751
Federal ID: IM-5111(235)
Locality: Fredericksburg , Spotsylvania , and Stafford