Recently Completed: Interstate 95 / Route 630 (Courthouse Road) Interchange Relocation and Route 630 Widening
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
Public outreach ►
Public Meeting on Diverging Diamond Interchange Opening: Monday, Dec. 2, 2019
The public is invited to attend a community meeting on Monday, Dec. 2 at Colonial Forge High School in Stafford County to learn more about diverging diamond interchanges and the Exit 140 project.
VDOT staff will deliver a brief presentation, and attendees can watch a simulation video and participate in a walk-through DDI exhibit with signs and pavement markings similar to the Courthouse Road interchange.
The meeting will be held:
Monday, Dec. 2, 2019
Colonial Forge High School
550 Courthouse Road
Stafford, VA 22554
*A brief presentation will be delivered at 5:30 p.m.
VDOT staff will be available to answer questions throughout the meeting.
"Pardon Our Dust" Public Information Meeting: Wednesday, May 17, 2017
A "Pardon Our Dust" public information meeting was held from 6 - 8 p.m. at Colonial Forge High School on Wednesday, May 17, to share details on upcoming construction.
Additional public meetings will be held throughout the project to keep residents informed on our progress.
If you would like to schedule a VDOT speaker to visit your community group to speak about this project, contact VDOT Communications Manager Kelly Hannon at Kelly.Hannon@VDOT.Virginia.Gov. or 540-374-3344.
This $195 million project has rebuilt the Interstate 95 interchange at Exit 140 (Route 630/Courthouse Road) in Stafford County as a diverging diamond interchange (DDI).
The new Exit 140 interchange is located slightly south of the existing interchange, with new overpasses carrying Courthouse Road traffic over the interstate.
The new Courthouse Road aligns with an extended Hospital Center Boulevard, which connects with Route 1 directly across from Stafford Hospital.
West of I-95, Courthouse Road was widened to four lanes as far west as Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road.
Project Design: Exit 140 Interchange
DIVERGING DIAMOND INTERCHANGE NOW OPEN
The new diverging diamond interchange over Interstate 95 at Exit 140 (Courthouse Road) opened to traffic on Saturday, December 7, 2020.
Watch the Exit 140 DDI simulation video for an aerial and windshield view.
Courthouse Road Park & Ride Lot Access Change: October 2019
Access to the Park & Ride commuter lot on Courthouse Road changed in October 2019 after a new side entrance to the lot opened from Wyche Road on Florida Rock Drive. View an online map of the upcoming access change at the Park & Ride lot.
Florida Rock Drive serves as the only entrance and exit to the Park & Ride lot until construction is complete in spring 2020. Construction is underway through spring 2020 to build a larger lot with additional parking spaces and new amenities.
- Diverging Diamond Interchanges (DDIs) lower the number of conflict points between vehicles by eliminating left turns.
- The new interchange briefly shifts vehicles on Courthouse Road to the other side of the road on new overpass bridges, which allows drivers to merge left onto the I-95 northbound and southbound ramps without stopping at a traffic signal.
- A wider Courthouse Road provides more lane capacity, and a new connection with Route 1.
- The intersection Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road has been realigned. New traffic signals were added to the entrance of Colonial Forge High School and the Liberty Knolls subdivision, and the intersection of Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road.
- Two new Park & Ride lots with a combined 1,100 parking spaces are under construction as part of this project. The new lots are located east of I-95. During construction, a temporary lot remains open with 545 parking spaces to provide continuous Park & Ride access at Exit 140.
- By spring 2020, the finished Park & Ride lots will open with a dedicated pickup and dropoff area for buses, carpools, vanpools and public transit.
July 2017: Construction begins
December 7, 2019: Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) opens to traffic, along with the four-lane, extended Hospital Center Boulevard from Route 1 to the new Courthouse Road and DDI
Late December 2019: Final I-95 southbound exit ramp opened, and four lanes of Courthouse Road opened between Austin Ridge Drive and the intersection of Ramoth Church Road and Winding Creek Road
Spring 2020: Anticipated completion of Park & Ride lots and sidewalk construction from Old Courthouse Road to Stafford County Government Center
July 31, 2020: All construction work must be complete, under contract
Beau Hoyt, VDOT Area Construction Engineer
Kelly Hannon, Communications Manager
Other relevant links:
Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
A diverging diamond interchange (DDI) is an innovative design that is increasingly being used by state transportation departments.
The ramp configuration is similar to a traditional diamond interchange.
However, traffic on the cross street, Courthouse Road, will switch sides.
Traffic is shifted to the left side of the road, which allows vehicles turning left to enter an interstate on-ramp without stopping at a traffic signal.
A traffic analysis, in the form of an Interchange Modification Report, has been performed on the diverging diamond interchange concept.
The findings, approved by the Federal Highway Administration, are below.
Phase: Under Construction
UPC: 13558, 4632
State ID: 0095-089-F09, 0630-089-202
Federal ID: C00013558DB83
Lat/Long: 38.422108, -77.423058