Coming Soon: Route 1 (Emancipation Highway), Hanson Avenue and Princess Anne Street Intersection Safety Project
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
A Notice of Willingness was posted for this project from July 21-August 5, 2022.
This federal Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) project would modify the intersection of Route 1, Hanson Avenue and Princess Anne Street in the City of Fredericksburg.
The changes include:
- Modifying an existing median on Route 1 southbound to provide more space for vehicles turning left just after the Falmouth Bridge onto Princess Anne Street
- Additional pedestrian accommodations would be installed for crossing Route 1
- A temporary concrete median at Hanson Avenue and Route 1 would be replaced with a new concrete curb and island
- Left turns from Route 1 northbound onto Hanson Avenue would continue to be prohibited
Construction of these improvements would occur in coordination with a separate project to improve the Route 1 and Fall Hill Avenue intersection in Fredericksburg. Both projects will be advertised through the same contract, and accomplished at the same time.
- Adds pedestrian crossing
- Adds capacity for vehicles turning left from Route 1 southbound onto Princess Anne Street, reducing risk of traffic spilling over into through travel lanes
- Improves overall traffic flow and operations at this intersection
Notice of Willingness Posted: July 21-August 5, 2022
Project advertised for Construction: August 2024
Curtis Holloway, P.E., PMP, VDOT Project Manager
Kelly Hannon, VDOT Communications Manager
Major funding source: Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
Phase: Coming Soon
Lat/Long: 38.31818425870282, -77.4723086778848