Route 684 (Staffordboro Boulevard) Commuter Parking Lot
|Route 610 (Garrisonville Road) Area|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Randy McKinney, Area Construction Engineer
Kelly Hannon, Communications Manager
Construction began in May 2013 on a $12.9 million expansion of the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride facility, which is maintained by VDOT.
When fully open in October 2014, the finished lot will have 1,865 parking spaces.
While the project was under design, VDOT invited Fredericksburg area commuters to submit suggestions to promote safe and orderly traffic flow. The expanded commuter lot will include:
• A consolidated, central location for carpool pickup and dropoff
• A bus pickup and dropoff bay that can accommodate 4 passenger buses
• An extended sidewalk along Staffordboro Boulevard
• Left and right turn lanes into a new lot entrance on Staffordboro Boulevard
• A roundabout that connects the commuter lot to Doc Stone Road, Juggins Road and Moncure Lane, improving access management to the site.
UPDATED THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 4: Temporary Parking Space Closures Starting 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 12, 2014
A traffic shift planned for this weekend in the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride lot has been postponed one week.
Traffic will be transitioned to a new parking section in the Staffordboro Boulevard Park & Ride facility in Stafford County beginning Monday, Sept. 15, 2014. The new section was originally scheduled to open on Monday, Sept. 8.
New parking spaces will open as the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) closes the existing Park & Ride lot for refurbishment.
The existing Park & Ride lot will remain open to users the week of Monday, Sept. 8 through Friday, Sept. 12. The lot was previously planned to close to users at 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 5.
Map of New Parking Section, New HOV Carpooling Pickup Area, and Temporary Traffic Patterns.
What Lot Users Need to Know
• The existing Park & Ride lot will now close at 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 12.
• The existing lot will remain closed until the project is completed in October. VDOT is paving the lot and painting new lane markings.
• There is no net loss of parking spaces. Before this phase of construction, 882 parking spaces were available, and 912 spaces will be available on Monday, Sept. 15.
• HOV carpooling (also known as slugging) will move to a designated area in the new section of the lot. Signs will be posted to direct users to this pickup area. The new area is also visible on the map of the new lot.
• Buses should collect passengers at the new bus bay area, and follow the recommended traffic patterns to enter and exit the lot.
• The number of handicapped accessible parking spaces will double to 28 spaces.
The farmers market held in the Park & Ride lot will remain open, and will move to the new section of the lot beginning Saturday, Sept. 20.
We regret this inconvenience, and any disruption it may cause while we work to improve the lot.
Please call VDOT Communications with any questions at (540) 374-3344, or email us at fredericksburginfo@VDOT.Virginia.Gov.
Public Hearing: 2011
A design public hearing on this project was held:
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011
Anne E. Moncure Elementary
75 Moncure Lane
Stafford, VA 22556
- The public design hearing and public comment period was scheduled from December 14, 2011-December 26, 2011.
- Approval of location and design: February 2012
- Advertise for construction: December 2012
Project Brochure and Documents
Please click here to view a copy of the Dec. 14, 2011 design public hearing brochure.
Please click here to view a copy of the final project design approved on February 21, 2012.