Under Construction: North Glebe Road over Pimmit Run Bridge Rehabilitation in Arlington County
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
During construction, lane closures on North Glebe Road are allowed on the following weekly schedule:
- Monday through Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Monday night through Thursday night: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Friday night: 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Saturday night: 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Sunday night: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
During construction, the path along the bridge will remain open to bicyclists and pedestrians, and the Potomac Heritage Trail under the bridge will remain open to pedestrians. When needed, path and trail access will be controlled by flaggers.
Public outreach ►
This project is rehabilitating the North Glebe Road (Route 120) bridge over Pimmit Run. The bridge was originally built in 1973.
The improvements include:
- Replacing bridge beams, deck and barriers
- Repairing, waterproofing and providing corrosion protection to abutments and piers
- Replacing barriers and railings along bicycle and pedestrian connection to trails
- Upgrading guardrails and drainage
The bridge currently carries about 13,000 vehicles a day.
Preliminary Engineering - $1.4 million
Construction - $8.5 million
Total - $9.9 million
The project is financed with federal and state funding, including State of Good Repair funds used for bridges.
The improvements will extend the overall life of the bridge and improve safety for drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians.
Public Information Meeting - August 2019
Virtual Public Involvement - July - August 2020
Advertise for Construction - December 2020
Award Construction Contract - February 2021
Begin Construction - April 2021
Close Bridge for Deck and Beam Replacement - August 2021
Reopen Bridge to Traffic - August 2021
Final Completion - Fall 2021
Donald Angerman, CCM
Yusaf Masud, P.E.
Other relevant links:
Construction Start News Release - April 2021
Programmatic Categorical Exclusion - August 2019
Major funding source: State of Good Repair
Phase: Under Construction
UPC: 114105, 111691
State ID: 0120-000-870, P101; 0120-000-867
Federal ID: STP-BR09 (297)
Lat/Long: 38.929003, -77.117964