Under Construction: Belmont Ridge Road at the Dulles Greenway in Loudoun County
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
A traffic shift is in place until mid-spring 2020 at the southbound Belmont Ridge Road ramp to the eastbound Dulles Greenway due to ramp reconstruction work.
Drivers can expect lane closures according to the following weekly schedule:
- Monday through Thursday: 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sunday night through Thursday night: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Friday night: 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Saturday night: 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
Public outreach ►
A notice of willingness to hold a public hearing and categorical exclusion availability occurred in December 2017.
Note: A traffic shift is in place until mid-spring 2020 at the southbound Belmont Ridge Road ramp to the eastbound Dulles Greenway due to ramp reconstruction work.
This project is widening about a half-mile of Belmont Ridge Road (Route 659) from two to four lanes at the Dulles Greenway (Route 267).
When work is complete, drivers on Belmont Ridge Road will have two lanes in each direction at the Dulles Greenway interchange, with two-foot shoulders on both sides. On the bridge, the widening will be done entirely within the existing deck.
Other improvements include:
- A new traffic signal at Belmont Ridge Road and the westbound Dulles Greenway on- and off-ramps. The traffic signal will include a flashing yellow arrow for drivers turning left from northbound Belmont Ridge Road to the westbound Dulles Greenway on-ramp.
- Partially reconstructing the ramp from southbound Belmont Ridge Road to the eastbound Dulles Greenway and moving the ramp entrance slightly south.
- Repaving and restriping Belmont Ridge Road just north and just south of the bridge.
- Retiming and adjusting the traffic signal at Belmont Ridge Road and Sycolin Road.
Within the project limits, Belmont Ridge Road averages up to 19,000 vehicles a day and the Dulles Greenway averages up to 33,000.
Preliminary Engineering - $1.4 million
Construction - $6.1 million
Total - $7.5 million
This project is being financed with federal and state funding.
This project aims to reduce congestion and improve safety and operations for drivers.
Begin Preliminary Engineering - June 2016
Notice of Willingness to Hold Public Hearing and Categorical Exclusion Availability - December 2017
Advertise for Construction - May 2019
Award Construction Contract - July 2019
Begin Construction - September 2019
Final Completion - Fall 2020
Other relevant links:
Categorical Exclusion - Dec. 2017
Cultural Resources Summary Report - Dec. 2017
Phase: Under Construction
State ID: 0659-053-154, P101, M501
Federal ID: STP-5A01 (787), STP-5B01 (008)
Lat/Long: 39.036980, -77.522929