In Design: Elden Street Widening in the Town of Herndon
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
This project will widen about a third of a mile of Elden Street from four to six lanes between Herndon Parkway and Fairfax County Parkway in the Town of Herndon.
Other improvements along Elden Street include:
- Adding bike lanes from Monroe Street to Herndon Parkway
- Adding from Herndon Parkway to Fairfax County Parkway cycle tracks, which combine the user experience of a separated path with the on-street infrastructure of a conventional bike lane
- Replacing the culverts over Sugarland Run with a new bridge to provide better stream flow and reduce potential flooding
- Pedestrian enhancements
- Landscaping and planted medians where feasible
Overhead utilities along Elden Street will be undergrounded between Monroe Street and Fairfax County Parkway. The project team, in coordination with locality partners, are working to finalize project plans and estimates for the ductbank, with construction scheduled to begin in late 2022.
Construction on the widening, bicycle and pedestrian improvements and new bridge is expected to begin in early 2025 after the completion of the utility ductbank.
Elden Street averages about 30,000 vehicles a day within the project limits based on 2019 data.
Preliminary Engineering: $6.6 million
Right of Way Acquisition and Utility Relocation: $9.4 million
Construction: $24.6 million
Total: $40.6 million
This project aims to reduce congestion, improve safety and enhance access to and from Fairfax County Parkway for drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians.
Design Public Hearing - October 2016
Design Approval - October 2017
Begin Right of Way Acquisition - May 2019
Begin Underground Utility Ductbank Construction - Late 2022
Begin Widening, Bicycle Improvements and New Bridge Construction - Early 2025
Hamid Misaghian, P.E.
Location & Design
Andrew Beacher, P.E.
Other relevant links:
Design Public Hearing - Oct. 2016 (Ad)
- Typical Section Displays: Four-Lane | Six-Lane
- Aerial Displays: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
- Color Map Displays: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
- Detour Option Displays: 1 | 2
- Right of Way Guide for Property Owners & Tenants
Typical Section Sheets - August 2016
Categorical Exclusion - February 2015
Phase: In Design
State ID: U000-235-110, P101, R201, C501, B606
Federal ID: HPD-5401 (455)
Lat/Long: 38.967631, -77.374576