Route 50 STARS Safety and Operational Improvements Study - ChantillyRoute 28 to Stringfellow Road in Fairfax County
Est Completion Date
$317,000 (Study only)
Lengths and Limits
Rt 28 to Stringfellow Rd (2 mi)
Andrew Beacher, P.E.
Note: A public information meeting was held Jan. 30.
About the Study
This STARS (Strategically Targeted Affordable Roadway Solutions) study is assessing potential safety and operational improvements for nearly two miles of Route 50 (Lee Jackson Memorial Highway) between Route 28 (Sully Road) and Stringfellow Road (Route 645).
Currently, this segment of Route 50 experiences congestion in the morning and evening peak periods and a high number of crashes. Route 50 averages 71,000 vehicles a day within the study limits.
Potential short-term improvement options include:
- Adding reflective traffic signal backplates
- Upgrading pedestrian ramps to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards
- Replacing and adding pavement and crosswalk markings
- Providing additional signage
- Continuing the traffic signal timing optimization program
- Adding pedestrian signals in the median (two-stage crossing)
- Converting bus stops to bus shelters
- Adding a Galesbury Lane and Lees Corner Road sidewalk connection
Potential mid-term improvement options include:
- Reconfiguring and modifying intersections
- Access management strategies for properties along the corridor
- Innovative intersection improvements
Begin Study - September 2017
Public Information Meeting - January 2020
Study Completion - Summer 2020
Public Information Meeting - January 2020 (Ad)