Under Construction: I-81 New River Bridge Replacement
Cost and schedule ►
Traffic alerts ►
The new bridge over the New River will be built in the median parallel to the existing structure, so two lanes of traffic can be maintained in each direction on I-81 during construction.
- Drivers can expect shoulder closures and periodic lane closures on Interstate 81 near exit 105.
- Ramp closures at exit 105 are possible.
- Speed is reduced to 60 mph in the work zone.
- Blasting schedules may be in affect at times.
- Intermittent slow roll operations may be in place on I-81 northbound from mile marker 98-105 and southbound from mile marker 109 to 105 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for steel beam deliveries.
Public outreach ►
The contract was awarded to Vecellio and Grogan Inc. from Beckley, West Virginia and is expected to be completed in summer 2022.
This project will replace two bridges: the northbound Interstate 81 bridge over the New River and the Route 232 bridge over I-81 at exit 105 (Radford).
The northbound I-81 bridge over the New River was built in 1965 and showed signs of age. The new bridge will have an extended off ramp for exit 105 and wider shoulders.
The new bridge over the New River is being built in the median next to the old structure, so two lanes of northbound I-81 can remain open during construction.
The Route 232 bridge crosses over the interstate and is being replaced to span the longer deceleration lane at exit 105 and wider shoulders on the new bridge over the New River.
The bridge on I-81 were opened to traffic in 1965.
This project will replace the aging northbound bridge over the New River and widen the shoulders and approaches. The northbound deceleration lane will be extended providing an additional factor of safety for traffic entering or exiting from I-81 at exit 105.