City of Lexington and Rockbridge County - Route 60 Corridor Study
Est Completion Date
Lexington and Rockbridge
Terry R. Short, Jr.
Overview of Study
The Route 60 Corridor is a northwest-southeast oriented gateway connecting the City of Lexington with Rockbridge County. The primary goal of the study was to identify transportation recommendations that would establish Route 60 as a vibrant gateway corridor for both the City of Lexington and Rockbridge County with a focus on enhancing mobility and safety for all users, while improving the overall aesthetics to create a true gateway corridor.
The study evaluated existing and future transportation conditions along the Route 60 corridor from Spotswood Drive within the city to Quarry Lane in the county. Context Sensitive Solution (CSS) methods were employed to identify the unique characteristics of the study corridor. These characteristics and the transportation needs of the public were used to develop future improvement alternatives that complement the characteristics of the corridor.
Final Study Documents
Benefits of Study Recommendations
• Reduction of conflicting turning movements through the consolidation of commercial entrances, internal connector roads and proposed roadway medians.
• Enhance non-motorized facilities with sections of new sidewalk, a shared use path in the county and pedestrian crossing improvements.
• Roadway landscaping and gateway enhancements.
• Recommendation consist of strategic short term and long term transportation improvement projects that can be prioritized by the localities and phased over time relative to available funding.
• A Public Participation Meeting to present study findings and recommendations and seek public comments was held on April 30, 2015 at the Rockbridge County Administrative Offices in Lexington, Virginia.
• Study was revised to address public and locality comments. Final study document was submitted by VDOT in December of 2015.
• A final study presentation open to the public was provided by VDOT on August 15, 2016 at Lylburn Downing Middle School in the City of Lexington.
• The City of Lexington acknowledged the completion of the study. Rockbridge County adopted the study with inclusion in the 2016 County Comprehensive Plan update.