UPDATE SUMMER 2020
VDOT Hampton Roads is announcing a phased approach to the return of standard ferry operations, with frequency of ferry service increasing on Friday, May 15.
Effective Friday, May 15, the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry will begin two-boat service hours from 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.:
- From 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily: vessels leave both sides on the hour and half-hour
- All other times: vessel leaves Scotland on the hour and Jamestown on the half-hour
Ferry bathrooms and the salon area remain closed to the public until further notice. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Drivers and passengers are asked to remain in their vehicles for the duration of the trip. VDOT will continue to monitor and respond to travel needs as necessary.
The Pocahontas, which has the same capacity as the Powhatan, is at the shipyard getting re-powered, a project that has been in the works for several years.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year including all major holidays.
On Christmas Day (December 25), the ferry runs on the hour in Surry and on the half-hour in Jamestown.
For ferry traffic updates and operational status, call 1-800-VA-Ferry/1-800-823-3779.
16289 Rolfe Highway
Surry, Virginia 23883-3102
Scotland Geo-coordinates :
LAT 37º 11’6” N, LONG 76º 47’ 4”
2110 Jamestown Road
Williamsburg, Virginia 23185
LAT 37º 13’ 11” N, LONG 76º 47’ 30 W
- Height: 12 feet 6 inches
- Width: Legal limits for highway travel
- Length: Legal limits for highway travel
- Weight: 16 tons for large trucks, 28 tons for semi-tractor combinations
- The ferry can only transport liquid or materials that are not required to display a HAZMAT placard as required by Department of Transportation rules.
The Jamestown-Scotland Ferry fleet is made up of four ferries:
Jamestown Scotland Ferry
P.O. Box 26, Surry, VA 23883