Safety Service Patrol
Click map at right to see patrol areas.
To ensure safety, SSP patrollers wear special highly visible, reflective uniforms and drive specially marked vehicles.
- Detecting incidents and disruptions in traffic
- Minimizing incident duration
- Clearing obstructions and debris from the roadway
- Establishing temporary traffic control for emergency responders and providing scene assistance as needed as per the Move It Law. This includes serving in the capacity of VDOT on-scene field commander as part of the command structure at the scene, and providing incident and congestion management functions until relieved.
- Additionally and where applicable, support reversible roadway and high-occupancy vehicle gate operations to ensure safe and incident-free lane change functions
Page last modified: Feb. 21, 2019